Monday, August 30, 2010

Black-Eyed Peas Mixed Vegetable Curry

I recalled the last time I posted black-eyed peas was quite some times ago, and that was of a Chinese soup which I duplicated after I came back from my Hong Kong trip.

Last night, I decided to try soaking some black-eyed peas for an Indian style curry which I came across on a magazine, a couple of months ago. Though I can only recalled that they uses cumin and turmeric powder; I decided to do a hands-on trial on my own version since I have some spices left in the fridge!

I tried to make use of most of my vegetables found in my fridge... in the end, I have created a pot of very delicious and nutritious black-eyed mixed vegetables curry!

This version of curry is non-spicy which is suitable for kids who love curry with spices. If you love spicy curry, I would suggest adding some fresh cut green chilies or either chili powder into it! ^^


Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins (approx.)
Soaking time: 8 hrs or overnight

Ingredients

1 cup of black-eyed peas - pre-soaked 8hrs or overnight(drained)
2 cup of water for boiling the peas
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp raw mustard seeds
1 tsp Masterfood wholegrain mustard seeds
1 tbsp of cooking oil
salt - as per own preference
1/2 cup water
some chopped french beans
some chopped broccoli
some cut celery

Method
Soak black-eyed peas overnight or minimum eight hours. Wash them and cook with two cups of water and a pinch of salt for 20mins. Drain and keep aside.

In a separate pot, heat oil and add cumin and raw mustard seeds. Let it fry for a min. Fry till the some mustard seeds start popping.

Add the hard stems of broccoli, follow by chopped tomatoes, french beans, celery and cook for 5 mins. Add the cooked black eyes peas and stir well till as the ingredients are mixed well.

Add turmeric powder and wholegrain mustard seeds. Add in half cup water and let it simmer on low flame for 5 minutes. Finally, add in the chopped broccoli and continue to simmer till all flavors blend well. Add salt to taste.

Garnish with some Chinese parsley and serve with rice or any bread.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails