Tuesday, August 24, 2010

East Meets West Fried Rice

You must be wondering why I have named this fried rice as the East Meets West fried Rice??!! Well... it is due to the usage of Asian black olives and the western olives, as additional flavours to this fried rice which I cooked yesterday.

I had specially fried the rice with mustard green so that husband could bring a box for my father-in-law who loves mustard green.

This mustard green with olives fried rice has a slight different taste of what I have cooked here, due to the mixture of the western olives which carried a sourish taste.

I specially took a picture of the black seedless olives (above), which I am sure some of the Teochew are familiar with; something which belongs to the "old-world" and are not often being seen these days! For me, it is also a childhood memory of what our grandparents or great-grandparents used to eat with the Teochew porridge - something which is so close to the heart ^o^

Some might say that these preserved black olives are bad for health...well I know! It is just something I wanted to add in for more flavours once in a blue moon; or rather something which just for the old times' sakes! >o<


2 comments:

Peiling said...

Alamak, how come u so smart de! U know... old people will never like what I cook!!! They will rather starve to death than eat what I cook. Hahaa!!! Ya, my mum at times also asked abt that 'Ou gan na' that you bought. Hahaa...

Meow Meow said...

Hi Peiling

Thanks for dropping-by to leave comments again!

Hmmm...everything started after I bought black olive for your granny! Now, I will always keep some in the fridge for my once in a blue moon black olive rice...brings back old memories... >o<

As for cooking for the elderly, it takes practises to make perfect! I don't even know how to cook when I got married. I started all my trial-an-error after that, and slowly improve my cooking skills ^o*

Related Posts with Thumbnails